Monday, August 9

Movie Reviews (July '10)


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The Disclaimer
Just because I've watched a movie or enjoyed it doesn't mean that it's for everyone. I don't like or condone raunchy content in a movie and I use the websites, Kids In Mind and ScreenIt, to find out what kind of content is in a movie before I watch it. BUT. Everyone's tolerance level of how much content you'll put up with if the movie's worth watching varies. I'd prefer the movie to be clean, but if it's overall worth watching and isn't overly raunchy, I'm able to look past a lot of it. With that in mind, when I say a movie is good, I'm saying that in an overall sense, and I'm saying that from my perspective. I'm not endorsing it, nor am I saying that the content that is in it is appropriate for all ages.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Boooring. Sorry, I know this a classic, but this did nothing for me.
2 of 5.

Toy Story 3
Need I write a review? If you didn't love this, you don't deserve a write-up as to why it was good. Agree with the masses! This was the best of the 3 and I loved it from start to finish.
20 of 5.

This Is It
This look into the rehearsals of Michael Jackson's huge concert that never happened was pretty awesome. The musicianship, creativity, and grandeur of the show would've been amazing and I woulda paid beaucoup bucks to see it. I highly recommend watching this! It's on Netflix Instant.
5 of 5.

Inception
YIKES, was this a freaking masterpiece! I saw it at a midnight showing and walked out with a brain full, even though I was fully awake the whole time. It's an awesome concept without coming across as a Matrix / James Bond mash-up, plus it's true to real life as far as how dreams work. This definitely requires 2 viewings (second time was awesome) to appreciate everything and if you have a chance to see it in IMAX, do it! The day this comes out on DVD, I'll be there to buy it and watch the special features.
20 of 5.

Gone With The Wind
The title says where my 4 hours of time went... I'm glad I watched this since it's always on the all-time best movies lists, but it wasn't a big deal, plus the length was way over the top. And the ending sucked. What a wench.
2 of 5.

Public Enemies
Ehh, no biggie. It was okay, but RottenTomatoes says it best in their synopsis: "Michael Mann's latest is a competent and technically impressive gangster flick with charismatic lead performances, but some may find the film lacks truly compelling drama." I didn't feel the tension or drama that I would've liked.
3 of 5.

Rear Window
I saw this when I was younger, but I don't remember it, so this was truly my first time to see it. Man, Hitchcock knew how to make movies! I loved it.
10 of 5.

Dial M for Murder
Ditto the above besides the fact that I hadn't watched this when I was younger...
5 of 5.

Lady in the Water
Somebody gave this to me as a gift so I have it in my DVD collection. It's been a long time since I've seen it and I remember loving it, even though everyone else was down on it. After this viewing I find myself in the latter crowd.
2 of 5.

No comments: