Saturday, September 6

Movie Review Catch-Up, Part 3


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Disclaimer
Just because I've watched a movie or enjoyed it doesn't mean that it's for everyone. I don't like raunchy content in a movie and I use the websites, ScreenIt and Kids In Mind, frequently to find out what kind of content is in a movie before I watch it. BUT. Everyone's tolerance level of how much content you'll put up with if the movie's worth watching varies. With that in mind, when I say a movie is good, I'm saying that in an overall sense, and I'm saying that from my perspective. I'm not endorsing it, nor am I saying that the content that is in it is appropriate for all ages. I'd prefer the movie to be clean, but if it's overall worth watching and isn't overly raunchy, I'm able to look past a lot of it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

August Rush
I heard that most people either loved this or hated it. I was in the latter crowd. Way too schmaltzy for me. It felt like a kids plot being told in a way that a movie for adults would be made.
2 of 5.

Charlie Wilson's War
Very enjoyable and another ace performance from Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Skip the first chapter on the DVD...
4 of 5.

The Savages
An excellent, excellent film with amazing performances. I haven't seen Laura Linney in a ton of movies, but every time I do, I'm like, dang. She got it together. This is my fave performance from her so far.
5 of 5.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
I kept hearing about this around awards season and for some reason, I just was dying to see it. I wasn't disappointed! It was an incredible story and the camerawork is TOTALLY brill. Apparently the stuff you see is live, not done in post-production - watch the special features.
5 of 5.

Death At A Funeral
Kinda like a Meet The Parents done British-style and centered around a man's death. I hate the "anything bad that could happen, does" movies like MTP, but this had some hilarious parts and made it worth watching.
4 of 5.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
I only saw the first one once, but this was better than it for sure. You can't watch it and compare it to LOTR, but for younger audiences it's great.
4 of 5.

The King of Kong
This is an amazing documentary-style story told of 2 world champions and the world of vintage gaming. Trust me - it's gold!
5 of 5.

Ghostbusters
Don't ask me how I had never seen one second of this movie until recently. I feel ashamed. It was amazing and if you're in the same boat as I was, abandon ship!
5 of 5.

Everything Is Illuminated
Great little indie film with traces of Eternal Sunshine artistically.
4 of 5.

The Darjeeling Limited
I watched it again when it came out on DVD and loved it just as much. There are some hilarious parts and the cast is gold. Wes Anderson is easily one of my favorite directors.
4 of 5.

No comments: