Saturday, September 6

New Tunes


I haven't been getting as much new music recently as I had been in the past few months, but there are definitely some gems that I have to pass along and review. Like with the movie disclaimer, I don't agree with all the lyrical content in these songs, nor am I endorsing their opinions or lifestyles, but it's still dang good music!


Brooke Fraser :: Albertine
You HAVE to, HAVE to, HAVE to have this album. Trust me on this. Seriously. It is amazing. It's the solo project of my favorite vocalist from Hillsong whom I have a vocal crush on. :) The lyrics are great, the production ace, and the overall package one that will leave you wanting more. BUY THIS!!!

Sounds like: Sarah McLachlan meeting A Fine Frenzy in lush musical layers
Fave songs: Shadowfeet, Love Is Waiting, Epilogue, Hymn


Does It Offend You, Yeah? :: You Have No Idea What You're Getting Into
I had heard of this band, but overlooked them until my sister Rachel told me about 'em and I re-looked into them. It is such a tasty album full of awesome grooves.

Sounds like: Ghostland Observatory + Chemical Brothers + Bodyrockers
Fave songs: With A Heavy Heart (I Regret to Inform You), Let's Make Out
Listen for: The awesome overproduced dual vomit vocal dub on Weird Science at 1:30 and throughout the song - it's incredible!!


The Helio Sequence :: Keep Your Eyes Ahead
An eFriend (someone I just know from online...) created a playlist of tunes to check out a few months ago and this band was one of them. After working through a few iTunes previews, I bought "Lately", "Keep Your Eyes Ahead", "Hallelujah", and "Shed Your Love". The latter is amazing and the others are pretty great listening as well.


Albert Hammond, Jr. :: ¿Cómo Te Llama?
First off, no, he's not Mexican. He just wants to know what your name is. :) He is the lead guitarist from The Strokes, if you didn't know, and his first album dominated me when it came out. While this one doesn't top that, it's still a great listen all throughout. Definitely get both albums by him!

Fave songs: In My Room, Lisa, Victory At Monterey, You Won't Be Fooled By This


Safetysuit :: Life Left to Go
I don't have the whole album of this but their song, Apology, is pretty dang catchy and awesome. It starts out with a cool vocal part that breaks into a nice solid groove and then keeps on progressing from there. The verse has a rockin' bass line with a cool drum beat, the pre-chorus cranks up the coolness factor by switching the drum beat to the disco beat and adding in high vocals, and the chorus is so awesome with the simple chord changes. I loooove the octave guitar part at the end of the song too.


Jason Mraz :: We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things
I had always been familiar with Mraz, but until another eFriend got me into him in the past couple months, I really hadn't heard much at all. I had the Java Joe's album which is pretty cool, but then once I got the new album, I fell in love with him. Not literally, mind you... The first 4 tracks are amazing and the album stays pretty heavy-hitting from there. He's not for everyone and I've heard that most people are either Mraz fans OR John Mayer fans, so maybe you won't dig this album like I do. But do yourself a favor and at least give it a spin.

Fave songs: Lucky, I'm Yours, Make It Mine, Only Human, A Beautiful Mess


Death Cab for Cutie :: Narrow Stairs
A few years ago I started hearing Death Cab's name all over the place, but I never checked them out. I still never entered the craze with all of the popularity they got, but I did gain a bit of exposure over the past couple years. I definitely think this album is the best so far and has a really cool feel throughout. They seem to have kept what they're known for with their sound, at least in my opinion, while still remaining accessible to listeners of all types.

Fave songs: You Can Do Better Than Me, Your New Twin Sized Bed, I Will Possess Your Heart, Grapevine Fires, Bixby Canyon Bridge


Coldplay :: Viva la Vida
When I first heard Violet Hill, it didn't grab me and my expectancy for the album waned slightly. When I heard the next single, Viva la Vida, it was more promising, but I didn't spend a load of time with it, so my expectancy level was still about the same. Obviously Coldplay does good work so I was still positive about it, though. I still have to say that X&Y is my favorite album by far by them, but this definitely has some rad stuff. The intro track sets the mood and I love how it reprises at the end of the album. These guys know music and constantly are evolving and stretching themselves. Take notes, all you young music lovers and instrumentalists.

Fave songs: Lost!, Viva la Vida, 42, Death And All His Friends (especially when it kicks in at the end)


Agree? Disagree? Got a recommendation? You know what to do.

No comments: