Monday, September 8

New Microsoft Commercial


I heard the news about Microsoft's new ad campaign which was supposed to somewhat counter the out-of-this-world amazing Mac vs. PC commercials that I know we've all seen. (Click here to watch all of them.) Jerry Seinfield was reportedly getting paid $10 million to be a part of them so it seemed like Microsoft was putting some effort into this.

Well, after seeing this first 90 second commercial which is supposedly an "icebreaker" to the rest of them, I can say with confidence that Apple has absolutely nothing to worry about in maintaining the throne of commercial awesomeness. The commercial has some funny parts, admittedly, but the commercial is so long that it gets long and the jokes don't pack the same punch as they maybe would have if split up, Bill's not that great of an actor so believability is a bit off, and the ending is like, wha?? One of the most surprising things was to hear that Crispin, Porter, and Bogusky (CP+B) is the creative agency for this $300 million dollar campaign. I've been drawing a blank as to what specifically I've seen by them that I've loved, but I know they're heavy hitters, so it was unexpected to have a lame commercial like this come out of their doors. Hopefully Microsoft will recover from this initial failure, for their sake.

Here's the original, followed by a hilarious "alternate ending" version which had me laughing out loud.





1 comment:

Tim said...

That was painfully unfunny. Just kept going too long without enough substance or purpose to it.