Thursday, September 4

Movies and Me


For those of you who know me well, you know I am a HUGE movie fanatic. I was your average moviegoer until last June when I signed up for a trial Blockbuster Total Access 3-a-month (upgraded to 4-a-month midway) plan, in addition to my Netflix 2-a-month plan that I've had since August '06. Obviously I wanted to get my money's worth (even though I wasn't paying anything...) out of the Blockbuster trial so I got really crazy with watching them right away when I got 'em and then exchanging them in the store and getting another one right away. So for that month, we had a selection of at least 8 DVDs pretty much at all times and I watched probably 25-30 that month.

Once I got into it, I realized how many classic / iconic / "must see" movies I hadn't seen yet and I expanded my Netflix queue dramatically and vowed to be a diehard movie watcher. Not just someone who enjoyed them and didn't care if the movie sucked. Nay, I wanted to watch them critically and I wanted to watch all genres. My Netflix queue is currently right at the 500 mark.

Because I wanted to start watching so many, I decided to keep a record of the ones I watched. For the latter half of last year it was just an alphabetical list, but this year I decided to take it up a notch and break it down by month and day and keep track of where I had gotten it (rental, Netflix online, Netflix DVD, etc.). So far this year I've watched 149 movies. And August was a super slow movie watching month since I'm not a single man anymore. :) Yes. I fully realize how much time in front of a screen that is. But because movie watching and concert going are my only 2 main hobbies, I don't mind going a little nuts with them. Plus, I want to be involved in making a movie or short film eventually so it's good research time!

I'll take a few posts in the coming days to review the highlights or lowlights from the ones I've seen in the past and then will stay up to date with it as I watch 'em.

No comments: